What sort of jobs do you provide?

We have partnered with a large placement agency, providing teaching positions in mostly government schools in the northeast of Thailand. You will be an auxiliary teacher rotating among classes.

When do I start?

We run courses in March/April and September/October. The course will last one month. The school semesters start in May and November.

Where are the jobs?

We offer positions in the northeast of Thailand. The positions vary from rural towns to big cities.

How much do I get paid?

Our partnering placement agency subsidise part of your training cost, therefore the salary for GoTEFL Thailand TAP program teachers is 28,000THB per month. In addition, you will receive 3,000THB accommodation allowance, 2,000THB visa reimbursement, work permit coverage and accident insurance. The package is competitive with starting salaries for inexperienced TEFL teachers in Thailand.

After completing the initial 4-month commitment (1 semester) you will be given the option to renew your contract. You will receive a renewal bonus, plus your base salary will rise to 31,000THB per month, with increased salary packages available based on qualifications. You will also receive the 3,000THB accommodation allowance, 2,000THB visa reimbursement, work permit coverage and accident insurance.

Since the school day usually ends at 4pm, many teachers earn considerable additional income for private tutoring.

It should be noted that living expenses in the northeast of Thailand are much lower than tourist areas.

Where is the training?

The training takes place at our training center in Chiang Mai, a popular city in Northern Thailand, one hour by plane from Bangkok. Chiang Mai is a charming city, full of culture, tourist attractions and a vibrant nightlife. The city is a perfect balance of traditional and progressive, and has something to suit everybody.

The training center is in the heart of the university district of Chiang Mai, which is an attractive location for many cheap restaurants, night markets and bars.

How long is the contract?

Upon completion of the TEFL course, you will receive a placement which will be a 4-month commitment. Many other countries usually require a one-year commitment, however we understand that for your first placement it can be a daunting prospect to sign-up for one whole year. That’s why our partnering placement agency provides semester-to-semester contracts.

Semesters in Thailand from from May – September, and November – February. The long breaks between semesters are perfect opportunities to travel around Southeast Asia, earn additional money from private tutoring or take time to relax and soak-up the sun.

Do I need any experience?

No, these are entry-level jobs involving considerable mentoring, with curriculum consultants in regular contact. The four-week intensive TEFL training is sufficient to get you started in the classroom and the schools, Thai students are very receptive to new teachers.

What TEFL certificate will I get?

We enrol you on the four-week TEFL course offered in Chiang Mai by UniTEFL, a very experienced and highly regarded training company. This particular course is actually accredited by TEFL International (TI) – one of the most widely respected, available through 30 centers in over 20 locations worldwide and awarded 3 credits by the TESOL faculty at Fort Hays State University in the United States.

What if I already have a TEFL certificate or experience?

If you have already completed an accredited TEFL program (including at least 6 teaching practicums), please contact us as we may be able to offer you a job with our partnering agency.

If you completed an online TEFL, or TEFL course that didn’t include at least 6 teaching practicums, then many professional establishments will not accept this. However we do have options available to just do the teaching practicums in order to gain an accredited TEFL.

What if we are a couple?

Couples are more than welcome, we have had many couples complete our TEFL program before. Our partnering agency can place both candidates in the same school .

If you are applying with your partner / friend and you wish to share a room during training (double beds and twin beds available), we will give you a discount of $100 each.

Will there be other foreigners in the school?

Yes, most schools will have at least one other foreign teacher. In many areas, there are multiple schools resulting in plenty of foreign company. Some of the teachers and locals will also speak English. Within four months most teachers have picked up enough Thai to make friends and converse. We will give you some choice of schools to choose from, depending on your preference and confidence.

What are the teaching hours?

School hours are usually from 07:30 to 16:00, though it differs from school to school. You usually teach about four 50-minute lessons per day, with time in-between to prepare your lessons or relax and a lunch break. Thai schools have frequent national holidays and activity days where no teaching occurs.

What if I don’t have a bachelor’s degree?

We only recruit university graduates to these jobs as stipulated by the schools and as required for legal employment in Thai government schools. If you do not have a degree but wish to teach in Thailand you have the option to work in the non-formal sector, such as language school, which we don’t deal with. We recommend you enquire about taking the standard TEFL course with UniTEFL, our sister group. You will have to pay for this yourself but they will work with you to help find teaching work in other sectors.

Are there any costs involved?

The course total is $1,800, however our partnering recruitment agency will help by giving a $450 subsidy to lower your upfront cost. This will leave you to pay just $1,350 fee towards your training and accommodation. Your travel expenses to Chiang Mai will be your own responsibility.

Do I need a visa to come to Thailand?

Many nationals do not need a visa to enter Thailand and will only be granted a 30-day visa upon arrival. However, we advise you to apply for a 60-day tourist visa in advance of arrival at your nearest Thai consulate. This can be extended for a further 30 days by which time you will have applied for your work permit. Once you have completed the TEFL training. you will also need to make a trip to a Thai embassy in Laos to apply for the Non-Immigrant B visa, suitable for a work permit.

How safe is Thailand?

Thailand is a very peaceful country. Its people are passive and friendly; violence or personal theft are very rare. Women can safely walk around after dark.

Are you ready to make the move?

If you have any questions about our TAP Program, please feel free to contact us and we will get back to you shortly.

Contact Us Today